Information in English
About the Institute
The Institute for Research in Inclusive Education at Masaryk University focuses on the research of a wide range of aspects of inclusion in education as well as social inclusion. The main research areas are: inclusion in primary and secondary education, social inclusion and participation of people with SEND, employment of people with SEND.
The Institute also serves as a platform for the professional development of Ph.D. students / researchers from the Department of Special Education. The Institute offers consultations and organizes seminars and other events focusing on educational research for the Ph.D. students.
Furthermore, the members of the Institute deliver the MA study program Education and Counseling for Adults with SEND. Our aim is to offer a study program closely related to practice, therefore we cooperate with a number of institutions and non-governmental organizations.
The institute currently employs eight researchers who hold advanced degrees. The multidisciplinary team of the institute is composed of professionals from the fields of special education, adult education, sociology, psychology and ophthalmology. This gives us the opportunity to look at scientific issues and research from different perspectives. Research methodology is strongly supported by team members with past experience in social science research. Quantitative research methodology is developed through team members with background in mathematics and continuing methodological education of all team members. The Institute is actively involved in several national and European projects.
The Institute has close ties with many non-profit and institutions (Labor Office, etc.) with which the Institute cooperates on research or within the framework of the study program Education and Counseling for Adults with SEND and thus brings expertise and current trends first hand to the students.
- Alliance of Universities to Reinforce teacher training curricula to Outcast Radicalism and promote equality in Asian societies (AURORA) (Erasmus + KA2, 610297-EPP-1-2019-1-IN- EPPKA2-CBHE-JP, 2019 – 2022)
- Access To Universities for Persons with Disabilities (ATU) (Erasmus + KA2, 2019-1-BG01-KA203-062530, 2019 – 2021)
- Inclusive Education and Social Support to Tackle Inequalities in Society (ISOTIS) (European Union, RIA, H2020-SC6-REV-INEQUAL; 2017-2019)
- Support of Art Work of People with Disabilities in an Art Studio (Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic; 49-12788 / 2015-ZPO / ORNK; 2016)
- Development of Accessible Disadvantaged Groups of People and Regions to Higher Education (DARE) (Erasmus +; 2015-2951 / 001-001; 2015-2018
- SEN Employment Links: Working with Employers and Trainers to Support Young People with Special Educational Needs / Disability into Employment (Erasmus +; 2015-1-UK01-KA202-013651; 2015-2017)
- Active Citizenship and Decent Work (Erasmus +; 2015-1-ES01-KA204-016067; 2015-2017)
- Integration through Education. Innovative methods of family assistance as an instrument for the equlization of opportunities for families at risk of social exclusion (Erasmus +; 2015-1-PL01-KA204-016407; 2015-2018)
- Child welfare discourses and practices in Czech lands: the segregation of Roma and disabled children during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Czech Science Foundation; GA15-10625S; 2015-2017)
More projects can be found here
Lecturers and researchers:
Lenka Gajzlerová, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer. Her field of interest is the use of ICT for students with SEND. She teaches the courses of Special Education, ICT in Education of Pupils with SEND.
Kateřina Sidiropulu Janků, Ph.D. is an ethnographic sociologist and a researcher of the ISOTIS project. She focused on inter-ethnic relations and interdisciplinary cooperation. She is also experienced in using PAR methods.
Lucie Jarkovská, Ph.D. is a senior researcher. She focused on educational inequalities. She specializes in gender, sexuality, and ethnicity in education. She leads courses in Methodology and Sociology.
Jana Obrovská, Ph.D. is a senior researcher. The fields of her professional interests are the sociology of education and culture. It deals with minority / inclusive education and the role of social disadvantage in the educational process. She focused on qualitative research, especially on school ethnography.
Ass. Prof. Karel Pančocha is a senior researcher focusing on the social inclusion and participation of people with disabilities. He teaches the following courses: Research Methods in Special Education, Adults with SEND, Statistics
Lucie Procházková, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer with the main focus on employment of people with SEND. She leads the following courses: Adults with SEND, Intervention for Adults with SEND.
Pavel Sochor, Ph.D. is a lecturer and researcher at IRIE. He teaches Art Education for People with SEND. He runs the Open Art Studio (visual art studio for people with severe disabilities).
Lenka Slepičková, Ph.D. is a senior researcher. It brings sociological perspective to educational research by analyzing attitudes of various participants in inclusive education. Furthermore, she leads research involving children. She leads courses in Methodology and Sociology.
Victoria Shmidt, Ph.D. is a senior researcher. Her research deals with the history of segregation, eugenics and social and health policies. She uses mainly the method of discourse analysis.
Helena Vaďurová, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer whose research focuses on inclusive principles at all levels of education, inclusive teaching methods and quality of life of people with SEND. She teaches the following courses: Research in Special Education, Adults with SEND, Special and Inclusive Education
Martin Vrubel, Ph.D. is a senior lecturer. He specializes in visual impairment and environmental barriers. He teaches courses in Visual Impairment and Ophthalmology.
Mgr. Klára Dobrovolná, DiS. (office assistant)
Head of the Intitute
doc. PhDr. Karel Pančocha, Ph.D.
Tel .: +420 549 49 5099
Mgr. Klára Dobrovolná, Dis.
Tel .: +420 549 49 7271
Institute for Research on Inclusive Education
Faculty of Education MU
Brno 603 00